Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Water Kifer

Today's recipe isn't one of my freezer meals -- sorry!
A lot of people have trouble drinking enough water every day. Even people who do hit their water goals get sick of drinking so much water and want an alternative option.  
For this reason I thought I would share my favorite water Kifer recipe with you today.  

I added 1/4 C raw sugar dissolved in 1/2 C water and 2 Tbsp water Kifer grains to a 1 quart mason jar. Then I added slices of lemon and filled the jar the rest of the way with coconut water. 
I then loosely fitted the lid on the jar and let it ferment at room tempature for about 36 hours. After 36 hours the grains had ate most of the sugar from the coconut water and sugar water.  I strained the liquid into a glass bottle and added 1/2 Tbsp of raw sugar to the bottle. I sealed it and placed it in the refrigerator for an additional 24 hours giving me a slightly carbonated delicious low sugar lemonade-ish drink.  The probiotics produced by the Kifer grains continue to eat the sugar and ferment the beverage so you're finished product has much less sugar than was added initially. 



For more info on Kifer/fermented beverages visit
http://www.gemcultures.com/water_kefir.htm
Gem Cultures also sales Kifer grains. Or if you email me shanonrenee@gmail.com I would be happy to share my grains with you if I have extras since they grow so fast!

Sometime in the future I'll share my favorite milk Kifer smoothie recipe!!! 


No comments:

PCS Updates

 Wow I can't believe it's been almost 3 months! SO much has happened and I honestly feel like I've barely had a chance to breath...