Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Chicken burritos

I love Mexican food...I especially love Mexican food that I can grab and run with when I don't have much time.  These burritos totally fit the bill.  I did learn the hard way if heating from frozen forget the oven and go straight to the microwave the first time I reheated them from frozen I already had the oven going so I threw my burrito in there and 30 minutes later the middle was still froze despite the suggestion from the recipe card...so yea...but since making them I have already had 3 and hubby has had 2 and we both love them!  





Ingredients

  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 (about 1 lb) chicken breasts, diced or shredded (I used the breast from a chicken I boiled to make stock)
  • 1 packet store-bought mild taco seasoning (or homemade taco seasoning)
  • ⅔ cups water
  • ¾ cup cooked black beans (or half of 15 ounce can of black beans, drained)
  • ¾ cup frozen corn
  • ¾ cup cooked brown rice
  • ½-1 cup mild salsa (adjust to taste)
  • 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese (I love cheese but I didn’t use nearly this much, I used about 1 TBSP per burrito and it was just enough)
  • 8 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
    Instructions
  1. Add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil to large skillet. Preheat over medium to medium high heat.
  2. Sauté chicken until cooked through (no longer pink), about 3-4 minutes.
  3. Add water, taco seasoning, black beans, corn, brown rice, and salsa. Turn heat down to low and let mixture simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Assemble burritos. Add a generous ⅓ cup meat mixture and 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese to each tortilla. Pull in each end of tortilla and roll up tightly.
  5. Warming options:
    1. Wrap tortilla in foil and heat through in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes. (From frozen, 20-25 minutes)
    2. Wrap tortilla in a moist paper towel and warm in the microwave in 30 second increments until heated through.
  6. Serve with your favorite Mexican toppings
    Freezer Meal Instructions:
    To Freeze:
    Complete recipe through Step 4. Wrap each individual burrito in foil and place in gallon-sized ziptop bag. Place in freezer.
    To Prepare:
    Thaw burrito(s) in the refrigerator overnight (preferred method) and then warm through according to Step 5a directions. Another thaw option is to remove foil, wrap burrito in moist paper towel, and microwave in 30 second increments until heated through (about 2 minutes depending on microwave). Open up the burrito halfway through reheating, to allow the inside ingredients to get warmed.

No comments:

PCS Updates

 Wow I can't believe it's been almost 3 months! SO much has happened and I honestly feel like I've barely had a chance to breath...