Monday, January 11, 2016

Chicken Chili Verde

Today for lunch hubby and I will be having this delicious Chicken Chili Verde and salads.  Last night I pulled two single-serving frozen packages (oh yes, I froze single servings, that is key!) from the deep freeze and we each made salads to up the veggie quotient.   Unfortunately I can't remember when I got this, (well pretty much all of the recipes I'm blogging about this month) recipe from, but since I made a few changes to make it Cleanse-Friendly (the original recipe included whole-fat dairy cream) I don't feel guilty about not linking to the original    So here it is:   


Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion-diced

4 cloves garlic-minced
2 whole bone-in, skinless chicken breast halves
1 lb. dry white beans (great northern)
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 Tbsp ground cumin
½ Tbsp oregano
½ tsp cayenne powder
½ tsp red pepper flakes
1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
salt and pepper to taste
 Serve With:
Shredded cheese (I omit for challenge)
1 bunch fresh cilantro
Diced avocado
Salsa
Sour cream (I omit for challenge)
Lime wedges
Sliced jalapeno
Frozen corn niblets
Diced tomatoes

      Instructions 
  • In a large pot cover beans with cool water (at least 2 inches). Refrigerate overnight then rinse the beans.
  • Saute onion and garlic in large pot with olive oil until softened.
  • Add the chicken breasts, beans, 6 cups of fresh water, herbs & spices to the pot. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce to medium and simmer one hour.
  • Remove the chicken breasts, allowing soup to boil and remove chicken from bone.  Shred the meat and discard bones returning meat to pot.
  • Add green chiles to the pot. Adjust seasoning to taste.
  • Simmer until thickened (about 30 min) then mash some beans to help thicken.
  • Serve each bowl of chili topped with shredded cheese and fresh cilantro leaves.

Prepare then freeze in portions.  Reheat on stove or microwave after thawing.

Edited to add picture of lunch today! 

No comments:

PCS Updates

 Wow I can't believe it's been almost 3 months! SO much has happened and I honestly feel like I've barely had a chance to breath...