Monday, May 7, 2012

10-day cleanse, the plan

So I’m doing a 10-day cleanse…nope not the pop a pill and be in the bathroom all day type, that’s kind of gross and I don’t see how it can be at all healthy. This one is a holistic-cleanse your body of allergens/toxins/medication etc. type of cleanse.
I’ve been doing a lot of reading lately about diets/exercise/whole body health and I really feel like I eat too much crap. Yes, I eat better than the general American population but still it’s too much for my body. I read about this cleanse and it sounds like a good idea to me, especially since it is very simple and doesn’t cut out all of any one source of nutrition (think no-carb, no fat etc diets). My intention is to complete the cleanse then try to extremely limit the crap food I eat.
Adam and I agree that we eat out to much and there is no reason for it, plus we both love to cook and prefer healthy foods, so here is hoping this is a lifestyle change that we both end up being healthier after.
*side note, Adam isn’t doing the cleanse, he has his PFA soon and is about 20lbs over so he’s doing one of his stupid crash diets that cannot possibly be healthy but work, hopefully this change will also eliminate the need for these stupid diets!*
Here is the plan:
· Every day first thing in the morning drink a glass of water with lemon juice
· Eliminate all artificial sweeteners, preservatives, non-natural sugar (including corn syrup & white granulated sugar)
· Up my water intake to at least 10 glasses/day, preferably 15
· Eliminate all caffeine (wish me luck!)
· Take no medicine, including vitamins, Tylenol, and allergy pills
· Days 1-3 and 8-10 eat anything from the Foods to eat liberally & enjoy some of the foods to eat moderately list, eat nothing on the foods to avoid list
· Days 4-7 only eat foods off of the foods to eat liberally list
· Continue counting calories consumed/exercise/weight etc on My Fitness Pal (I reset everything to zero this morning)
· Track my water on MFP also (I’m bad about this one!)
· Days 1-3 & 8-10 exercise at least 30 minutes/day to break a sweat
· Days 4-7 exercise moderately, probably stick with stretching/yoga etc (4-7 are very low protein & carb days)

Foods to eat liberally:
Vegetables-
Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, garlic, onions, asparagus, avocado, kale, artichoke, beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, spinach, celery, watercress, peas, & herbs are all highly recommended.
Fruit-
Apples, pears, apricots, peaches, mangos, melons, papayas, pineapple, banana, kiwi, berries, lemons, legumes, whole grains, olive oil
Beverages-
Pure fruit juice, Vegetable Juice, dandelion tea (up to 3 cups per day), fruit & herbal teas, water

Foods to eat moderately:
White meat (chicken, turkey), White Fish (Cod, sole, haddock, herring), Eggs, Nuts, Seeds, Dried Fruit, Grains (barley, rye, oats), Milk substitutes (Soy, rice, almond milk), White potatoes, Tomatoes, Natural Organic Yogurt

Foods to Avoid-
Caffeine, Alcohol, Orange Juice, Sugar, Refined Carbs, Red meat, Dairy, Wheat, Additives & preservatives, prepackaged/processed food, salt

Realistically I think I’ll be able to do it no problem. The only things on the “avoid” list that I will probably re-introduce into my diet on a regular (though hopefully not as frequent) basis will be red meat, dairy (specifically cheese!), & wheat. I would love it if I could kick caffeine to the curb, it’s just so tasty!

I plan to keep posting along the was so I’ll let everyone know how I’m doing!

No comments:

PCS Updates

 Wow I can't believe it's been almost 3 months! SO much has happened and I honestly feel like I've barely had a chance to breath...