Monday, April 22, 2019

Shanon's Book Review - Hamilton: The Revolution

Are you as in love with the Hamilton Mixtape as I am?   Have you been lucky enough to see Hamilton in person, either on Broadway or one of the traveling casts?  I love Broadway and love musicals.  From the classics like Hello Dolly, to Thoroughly Modern Millie, to more modern shows like Avenue Q and Hamilton and everything in between I am a musical theater junkie.  I have had the Hamilton Mixtape on my Amazon playlist since it came out on prime music and it is still one of my go-to's when I need upbeat music to get shit done at work or home.


 
I listened to Hamilton the Revolution on audiobook, read by Jeremy McCarter and Lin-Manuel Miranda and I highly recommend you do the same.  Something about hearing the actual writer of the musical talk about his process makes it come to life in a way that reading words on the page can never accomplish.  Walking step by step through the inspiration and creative process that went into the development of this musical that is truly groundbreaking was a wonderful journey.   
I loved getting a behind the scenes look at what aspects of the show are truly historically accurate verses where some creative license was used to fill in the gaps and as someone who hasn't had the chance to see the show in person yet hearing more about the casting process and how the use single actors to fill multiple roles was extremely interesting. I always like researching historical fiction books after I read them to find out what is actually true, it was nice having a book that did that research for me. 
I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads but honestly if I could have given it 6 or more I would have. 

No comments:

PCS Updates

 Wow I can't believe it's been almost 3 months! SO much has happened and I honestly feel like I've barely had a chance to breath...