Friday, April 5, 2019

Questioning Everything

One day last week I was super busy at work so I turned off all of my notifications on my phone and my email.  April 1 is a pretty big deadline for me and I needed to get into a groove because one of my coworkers took a new job and I was flying solo on a project that we would normally be doing together. 
Somehow in the midst of this I missed a pretty important email from my boss about an audit request.  Even tho I was on a tight deadline, requests from our auditors needed to take priority because their deadline was March 29, so technically I had more time than they did.  Around 4:30 I opened up my email to see if there was anything needing attention before I left and of course I saw this email and had a major oh crap moment.  I knew their request would take me at least and hour and a half but I could still be home in time for my Junior League conference call at 6:30 so I didn't stress out too much - that is until I realized that I had saved over the file I used to create the report they were asking about and no longer had the year end version easily accessible to answer their questions...
So at 7:15 I was still working on the audit request while listening into my conference call since I was the only person in the office other than the auditors when I finally said screw it, sent them what I had and promised the rest of the report for the morning. 
This in and of itself wasn't a big deal, I have worked until 7 or 8PM (later when I worked in public accounting) more nights than I can count during January - April in my 12 years as an accountant, it is kind of in the job description.  However at the end of the day I no longer work for public accounting.  I work for a corporation that does not pay overtime, gives limited raises, has enough but not a lot of opportunity for advancement, and generally has no reward system for going significantly above and beyond the call of duty.  More importantly because the reward system is built the way it is I get the same reward for putting in significant extra effort as someone who just does a good job.  So now, I am questioning everything.
Hubby had plans after work so I had already told him not to worry about the dogs, of course now I'm a crappy dog mom because it was after 7:30 PM when I got home and the poor things needed to go outside and potty and wanted their dinner. 
Because I was so busy I only got about 3,000 steps all day and didn't stand up for over 3 straight hours, making me an absolutely horrible human mom since pregnant women aren't supposed to sit for extended periods of time due to blood clot risks.   Also I didn't drink enough water today and ate an entire bag of Cadbury chocolate eggs so totally winning on the healthy decisions for me and for baby. 
By the time I got home I let the dogs outside then just stood in the middle of the living room and cried (like ugly cried, complete with sobs and minor hyperventilating).  I can't help but question how I am possibly going to be a good mom to this precious baby who I have wanted for so long I lack the basic ability to leave work at a reasonable hour to let out my dogs.  If instead of dogs I had needed to go get my kid from daycare then what would have happened? Would I have had to leave work then bring my kid back with me? That doesn't exactly work well since bedtimes and dinners are kind of important? Do I just say fuck it, leave work to take care of my kid and not finish my tasks on time?  I have never missed a work deadline in my life and I don't plan to suddenly start but I can help but question how I'm going to keep all of the plates spinning above my head after this baby is born. 

No comments:

PCS Updates

 Wow I can't believe it's been almost 3 months! SO much has happened and I honestly feel like I've barely had a chance to breath...