I made this as a freezer meal but after seeing how easy it was I think it could be made just as quickly from scratch as from the freezer! (really the prep time was less than 10 minutes...amazing!)
- 1 28-ounce can peeled, whole tomatoes (including liquid)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (water will do, in a pinch, or chicken broth if not vegan)
- 3 large garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1½ lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped or 2 TBSP dried
- Splash of soy milk (or cashew cream)
- Salt and pepperDirections
- Place tomatoes, broth, garlic, nutritional yeast and lemon juice in a blender and blend until smooth.
- If you’d like the soup to be warm, transfer to a medium-sized pot over low- to medium-heat, and warm to desired temperature. Alternatively, if you are using a high speed blender, simply let it run in the blender for a couple of minutes until desired temperature is reached.
- Serve garnished with fresh basil and a splash of soy milk or a dollop of cashew cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
We had this for dinner with grilled cheese made on homemade, high protein, relatively clean bread and it was a perfect comfort food.