I can't remember where I found this recipe, however the sliced cabbage noodles are really fun and it is a delicious chicken soup. Perfect for cold weather like what we are having currently (it's 20 degrees here today). It really does warm the soul.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced or sliced
- 2 ribs celery, diced (leaves included)
- 8 cups water, vegetable or chicken stock (I used homemade chicken stock)
- 2 cups diced chicken meat, cooked (I used meat from the bird I cooked to make my chicken stock, you can omit the meat for a vegetarian version.)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/4 head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- generous grating of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt to taste
- Preheat a large, non-stick pot. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook until onions soften. Add the water or stock and all remaining ingredients except nutritional yeast and parsley.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until vegetables are tender and broth is flavorful (at least 30 minutes).
- Stir in the nutritional yeast and parsley. Add salt to taste and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 6