Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Chicken Cabbage Soup

I can't remember where I found this recipe, however the sliced cabbage noodles are really fun and it is a delicious chicken soup.  Perfect for cold weather like what we are having currently (it's 20 degrees here today).  It really does warm the soul.

Ingredients

  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, diced or sliced
  • 2 ribs celery, diced (leaves included)
  • 8 cups water, vegetable or chicken stock (I used homemade chicken stock)
  • 2 cups diced chicken meat, cooked (I used meat from the bird I cooked to make my chicken stock, you can omit the meat for a vegetarian version.)
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 1/4 head cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas)
  • generous grating of black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
  • salt to taste

Instructions

  1. Preheat a large, non-stick pot. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook until onions soften. Add the water or stock and all remaining ingredients except nutritional yeast and parsley. 
  2. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until vegetables are tender and broth is flavorful (at least 30 minutes).
  3. Stir in the nutritional yeast and parsley.  Add salt to taste and serve.

Number of servings (yield): 6

No comments:

PCS Updates

 Wow I can't believe it's been almost 3 months! SO much has happened and I honestly feel like I've barely had a chance to breath...