Monday, August 8, 2011

The Help

Have you read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett? If not, you should...I should...I have not yet read the book, but I do own it...and I have seen the movie so that is something right?
The Help 
"The Help" is an amazing story about a white woman in the 1960's in Jackson, Mississippi who decides to interview the "help" in the town about what it is like to be a black maid.  The women share with her stories about the things they have seen and heard, the names they have been called, the way they have been treated.  Ms. Stockett leaves no viewpoint untouched.  She points out both the good and the bad in people, her characters tell stories about good employers and bad ones, the kind and the rude.  The movie doesn't come out until August 10th and you should run to see it!  I was lucky enough to attend a free pre-screening of the movie and was absolutely amazed.  One warning though, don't wear mascara, you will cry!  If you have not yet heard about this amazing story then you must live under a rock but I promise you it is touching.  I was with a group of about 20 women, all white, ages ranging from 23-50+ in a prominently black theater, this story truly touches all races.  Everyone in the theater joined in the utter joy and laughter of the characters at some scenes, we all reacted in shock and disgust at others.  I promise you that not a single person left the theater without wiping at least one tear from the corner of their eyes.  The theater was full of men and women, black and white, the story is one of unity and community.  It is about standing up for what is right and telling the truth.  In reality I don't think the story is about the battle against racism, though that is the most predominant and obvious theme, for me the true message is about the HUGE difference one person can make when they take the time to see the viewpoint of people who are not like them, then tell the story, the true story, about what is going on in the world.  I am trying not to refer to the actual plot to much because I don't want to ruin the story for those of you who haven't read it and since I know most of you won't have seen it yet at this point but I do want all of you to know it is a truly amazing movie that was extremely well written.  The book, will be my reading on the plane when I go visit hubby later this week and I will let you know if it is as good as the movie then.  (aren't the books ALWAYS better? I'm sure this will be no exception!)

 OH--and don't forget to go enter my giveaway!  

No comments:

PCS Updates

 Wow I can't believe it's been almost 3 months! SO much has happened and I honestly feel like I've barely had a chance to breath...